Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Babar does yoga and so can you!





I have been doing some yoga with my grade 5 students, and as a result have been trying to find some good books with ideas on how to teach yoga to kids specifically. A friend from school has lent me a couple of great books, but I was still looking for more so I went to the UBC book store to take a peek. The salesladies were a bit stimped at first and then exclaimed that they had the perfect book for me. This perfect book is Babar's Yoga for Elephants. Unlike most books this one offers great sequences of poses while also being totally unintimidating. I have showed it to a few people, including my uncle who has never done yoga bt has somehow been convinced to accompany my Aunt on a yoga retreat in mexico, and he asked if he could borrow it. I am using it and feeling better myself! Sometimes when I am learning from the adult books I can't help but feel like I am doing something wrong all the time, and I likely am. My legs hate to straighten, my shoulders bunch up etc etc etc. Babar doesn't seem to worry about all this. In his world the important thing is to give it a try, so I do, and the kids so too.

No comments:

Post a Comment