Today after school my teacher friends and I went to the corner store near the school and inside I met Helena and her plethora of perfect pomelo plants. Helena is the owner of the store and all around she has tiny pots which she has collected. Most are handmade. Sprouting out of the eclectic pots are shining round green leaves. When I asked her about it Helena told me that she saves the seeds from Pomelos (like a grapefruit but larger) and plants them in soil. She mists them every couple of days but does not water them much as the pots have no drainage holes and you don't want to drown them. If you run your hand over the leaves they smell nice, and Helena says it is especially nice to have one of these plants near your computer so if your eyes need a break you can just look at your happy little plant and feel better. I agree, my eyes like green. I was thinking about doing this with my kids. I brought in a terrarium the other day and they are all pretty keen on it. They want to water it and are constantly asking me questions. They could even make their own little pots and eat the Pomelo's. According to Helena, you can also cook the peel of the Pomelo and eat that too.
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Pomelo perfection
Today after school my teacher friends and I went to the corner store near the school and inside I met Helena and her plethora of perfect pomelo plants. Helena is the owner of the store and all around she has tiny pots which she has collected. Most are handmade. Sprouting out of the eclectic pots are shining round green leaves. When I asked her about it Helena told me that she saves the seeds from Pomelos (like a grapefruit but larger) and plants them in soil. She mists them every couple of days but does not water them much as the pots have no drainage holes and you don't want to drown them. If you run your hand over the leaves they smell nice, and Helena says it is especially nice to have one of these plants near your computer so if your eyes need a break you can just look at your happy little plant and feel better. I agree, my eyes like green. I was thinking about doing this with my kids. I brought in a terrarium the other day and they are all pretty keen on it. They want to water it and are constantly asking me questions. They could even make their own little pots and eat the Pomelo's. According to Helena, you can also cook the peel of the Pomelo and eat that too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment