Thursday, June 25, 2009

Green Porno


Recently I helped teach "family life" a pseudonym for sex ed in the grade 5 class where I did my practicum. The students were pretty embarrased about the whole thing but were full of insightful anonymously asked questions like "does sex feel good?", "does it hurt to get my period?", "can animals be gay" and "when do men catch up to women in maturity". I found the last question particularly amusing. Unfortunately due to time constraints I was unable to answer all these questions. It is important to give students age appropriate family and sex education, it can be tricky though, for me I have sometimes thought using plants as a metaphor can be a safe gateway for talking about reproduction.

Fortunately the world has Isabella Rosellini who has managed to combine my newfound interest in quality sex ed with my obvious love for the environment. Not only that but she does it with videos which emply amazing art direction and humour. Check them out. They are hilarious, and deal quite well with the little know reproductive techniques of various insects and marine life. Enjoy!

http://www.sundancechannel.com/greenporno/

No comments:

Post a Comment