Monday, December 21, 2009
Thoughts on the Downside of Documentation
I had such a good day today. I worked at the preschool I have subbed at for the past 8 years or so. It was so calm. The kids were amazing. We made star ornaments, I mesmerized them with LED lights to celebrate the solstice, we played monsters, we sang carols, we made a hopscothch, we played hockey, we drew and when I tried to write their quotes on the backs of their sheets they were confused and, in some cases annoyed. One boy told me to close my eyes and erased everything I had written, including his name. It made me think that maybe too much documentation can seem/feel like scrutiny. There were moments when I wished I had a camera so I could take pictures of the amazing block fortresses they were building, or the drawings they drew, but not having one also allowed me to just revel in the moment with them, instead of feeling weirdly voyeuristic and paparazzi-esque. Bottom line, kids are awesome, and I think they are extra awesome when you give them an environment that is safe, relaxed and calm. There were quiet breaks in the day. No workplace is perfect, but I have to say that the feeling, at least for me, was a really good one. Felt like being home, and home at this time of year is a pretty good place to be. I feel like having this blog as a personal place for reflection is very valuable, and I am happy to have had a crash course to intense documentation, and happy to have a break from it :) at least for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment