Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Return to the Land of Birds





In April I was asked to come and care-take for some people I met last year in Haida Gwaii. I was elated and though it meant postponing several other trips I had planned I hopped on a plane and arrived the 18th of May to start learning about the life I was preparing to lead.

The place I came to is an island, just outside of Queen Charlotte City, and my friends live off the grid relying on solar panels, micro hydro and a diesel generator for their minimal power needs. They run a greenhouse and supply the island with the most delicious tomatoes I have ever tasted. While they were gone my boyfriend and I took care of their place and feasted on all the wonders that surrounded us including clams, mussels, oysters, crab, sea asparagus, duck eggs, stinging nettle, tomatoes (Beefsteak and cherry), cucumbers, kale, arugula, nasturtiums, onions, parsley, oregano etc etc etc.

It was an amazing time. I have learned so much and fallen in love with this place and all its wonders.

No comments:

Post a Comment