Seems strange to be writing about heating when it seems like North America is engulfed in a Heat wave. Even here in Haida Gwaii it is smoking hot.
Still, we all know it won't last, and I have been thinking about the wonders of wood heat, both as heating in the forms of amazing cast iron ovens and also for baking. The people I am staying with just returned from France and are inspired to build a community wood fire oven for people to be able to come and bake bread in. I Think it's a great idea, like a community garden but for bread. As of right now there is no reliable source of good bread here in Queen Charlotte, so seems like it could work.
I also just heard a podcast from deconstructing dinner where they spoke with the folks from Speerville Flour Mill who have a portable Panyol wood fire oven which they use to demonstrate the amazing breads their flours can make. Apparently just about everything you cook in these things turns out great.
No comments:
Post a Comment