Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Book mobiles, WOW bus and Reading Rockets





When I was a child Vancouver had a Book Bus. It was wonderful. I came in the evening once a week or so and allowed me and my brothers to be proactive about literacy. The librarian paid attention to our interests and would bring us books that suited them.

I have been doing a little research about the existence of such busses and am relieved to see that in some places they still exist!

Places like Peace River North A.K.A. District 60, which also has a great website listing all the different projects they are offering. and District 59 has one too, as does district 69. Coquitlam has a beautiful one. All this makes me wonder if Haida Gwaii would have a WOW bus of it's own. Why not?

Not only that, now I am seeing pictures of really fashionable busses! Cool ones like the award winning sweedish beauty pictured above. At the very top is an image of a revamped airstream called "projet mobilivre" from montreal, which specializes in zines, I have actually been on it once when it visited Vancouver. I was thinking cutesy 0-5 kid friendly, but hey, cool buses could work too. Depends on the budget/librarian I suppose. The point is to get books into the hands of kids, and to get kids into books. Though creating an appealing environment seems like a no-brainer. This space can also offer puppet shows, reading circles, and perhaps just a safe place for kids in rural areas to come and hang out with books? Could be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment