Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Party Hats!




Every year as part of my work with Success By 6 I get to do outreach at the local fairs and events. Last year I had a great time doing face painting, but found that despite my best efforts there were often long lineups, and not much time for me to talk to parents. 

This year, since it is also Success By 6's 10th birthday we are doing a birthday party theme. 

the ladies from the Hat shop putting on a mad hatters tea party Edie is on the far right.
 It was odd that when I started google image searching I found this pic of my former colleagues...I guess the world of hats is a small one :)
I spent a good portion of my young adulthood working at a hat store, Edies Hats, (Now the granville island hat shop) where my amazing friend and honorary Auntie Edie taught me all kinds of things, in particular, lots of things about hats. Both of my brothers also worked there, and I think that all of us have a deep love of hats as a result. 


Given this history it's not surprising that when I needed to come up with a craft, I decided on, PARTY HATS! At the Old Masset Health Fair I had a huge time making party hats with the kids. I mostly used old file folders from the school that were free for the taking, and in a range of interesting colours for the hats, and then got streamers, feathers, stickers, and markers to decorate with. Here are some links I used for inspiration. 

Oh Happy day had some great ideas, and even a pretty good template. I needed to tweak it a bit, but not bad. 

Here is a link to a website with 18 great party hat ideas.

I forgot how much fun it is to wear hats and make crafts. Honestly probably 2 of my favourite things. 

these ones are leather but inspired me to make paper crowns, which were a huge hit


peter pans hats:http://swoonstudio.blogspot.ca/2012/03/peter-pan-party-hats.html




No comments:

Post a Comment