Sunday, June 23, 2013

Adult sexuality, sex and aging



I just did a presentation today about the need to create sexual health and expression policies within long term care facilities as part of our module about Sex and Aging, part of the Adult Sexuality component. There are a few links I would like to remember in all this so here they are.
Kritsin mentioned her friend Peggy Brick in class today, an award winning american sexual health educator. Her is a link to her blog about sex and aging.
http://www.sexualityandaging.com/2013/05/

Also here are links to the 2 books by Joan Price, Naked At Our Age and Better Than I Ever Expected

Betty Dodson is also important to mention, she is an artist and has done amazing work since the 70's organizing her famous "bodysex workshops" where she gathered with groups of women, naked in her new york apartment to discuss their genitals and orgasms. Now 83 she just recorded another of these films, and it can be viewed for $20 on her website, which also includes tons of great video blogs of her and her partner in crime talking all about sex.

On the topic of vulvas I feel it is important to mention another book that I know about which is related to the Betty Dodson theme. One is I'll Show You Mine, it's a photo study of different women's vulvas and includes pink pubic hair and (apparently) trans genitals, though you won't be able to tell. 10% of all book sales go to charitable women's organizations and if you write to them they will send you one for the price of the postage, providing you promise to use it in women's educational groups.

Learnt about this other book too, which is called the Manga Sutra this is a book which was written as a kind of instructional tool/graphic novel...I have heard it is great.

This weekend we also got a great tour of Womyns' Ware an adult sex shop on Commercial drive. They are very ethically driven and work hard to make sure that the integrity, safety and quality of all the products they carry are top notch. Thanks to the Industrial designer and display artist for their fabulous and informative tour.

I feel bad that all of this stuff seems so much more pertinent to women...If anyone has EDUCATIONAL books and resources more aimed at men, please let me know.
Just to balance the scales a little here's a Betty Dodson pic of a penis, or as Betty described it, a "Cock with a twist"


No comments:

Post a Comment