This is a video of Severn Suzuki, David Suzuki's daughter speaking on behalf of an environmental children's organization called ECO which she stated when she was 12.
Here is the link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsDliXzyAY
I had the video up here but it got taken off, so here is the link in case you want to see it.
Severn went to the same elementary school and highschool as I did and the other day when her father came to speak to a group of students in the faculty of education he ended his talk by playing this video.
Her words and her bravery really struck a chord with me. I turned in to a red faced leaky mess, but I think my reaction was warranted. I am constantly amazed by the courage, optimism and intelligence of children. As David pointed out they are the ones who will change the minds of their parents who may be resistant to new ideas, as we all tend to be as we get older. Resistant though they may be all parents love their children, and if we can convince the children that they should love all life and themselves as a part of that, then I have faith that they will pass this message on and carry it forward.
The video has been variously titled, some call it "the girl who silenced the world for 5 minutes" it has been viewed by well over a million people, and I am proud to think that this little girl and her visionary father live right here in my neighbourhood, and continue to have such a huge impact on not only Canada but the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment